Thursday, October 17, 2024

From Voca Me (3)


  * * *

“We take a moment to devote
  to God, the opposite of rhyme,
a song, a single silent note,
  nothing sung in metered time.”

“My soul was like a weaned child.
  It was He, not I, who made me.
Just His laughter would reconcile
  my rage with my vanity.”

“I grew to question the pyramids—
  poured cement, not quarried rock.
Unlike Stonehenge’s cold Druids,
  I knew the sun was not a clock.”

“What they saw over Bethlehem
  was the birth or death of a star
aeons before faithless men
  could look up and say, ‘How far?’”

“My fist lay on the filthy shop
  floor.  I screamed along with
the saw, which would not stop.
  Its teeth were now my teeth.”

“A medium, not a personality,
  a receptacle of others’ feelings,
I discovered my true identity
  in premeditated stealing.”

“Sleep and Death being one,
  conscious of the sliding minute,
I dream to comprehend the reason
  unconsciousness is infinite.”

“Dancing to quaint viols, antique
  tunes, beneath the mushroom shade,
we are like forces, strong and weak:
  we spin together, then we fade.”

“I saw three men, treacherous men,
  wading a river, murderous and wild.
It swallowed them, swallowed again.
  I saw it shiver, nauseous, defiled.”

“Upon the city’s grid of lights,
  I imposed my dynamic
rhythm—yellow, reds, whites,
  and blues, opposing, unmelodic.”

“In imitation of intercourse,
  bones line up, teeth chatter.
Fading into its depthless source,
  old ecstasies seem not to matter.”

“My concern is with the minimal
  thinking life in a man, the brute
moving away from its animal
  state, awakening, and still mute.”

“The flat black I painted
  concrete, looked like seeping oil.
I called beauty art tainted,
  truth wishful thinking soil.”

“Each of us is a devil’s penis,
  thrusts the earth above the ground.
Will conscience not wean us
  from sex before the final mound?”

“One of countless sounds, my voice
  joined the crowd’s absurd violence,
unheard of course, leaving no choice,
  but proud discipline of silence.”

“As Christ’s body I lived my life;
  did He as my head have regrets?
I think, whatever comes, afterlife
  or afterdeath, I’d rather forget.”

“He’s committed haram against the Prophet.
  You will not read!  You will hunt him
 to the city of the Riddah, where for profit
  he hawks his words like a mutakallim!”

“What was paradise?  A mere acre
  or two?  Or a million?  And Adam and Eve.
‘This is boring,’ said their Maker,
‘Either you get busy or you leave.’”

“Once, my prayer reversed the negative—
  light became nothing, darkness radiated
life.  As I watched the sun give
  off night, my yearning was satiated.”

“Are dead grins, I used to ask,
  more alike than living faces?
Which is actor, which is mask?
  One endures, the other erases.”

“The little wrens screw up their cheeks,
  stifling laughter as the boy wriggles
up through her cool body.  He seeks
  her mouth.  She wakes to their giggles.”

“‘Because you can’t know when the thief
  will come, day or night,’ said Matthew,
‘keep watch!’ referring (to my disbelief!)
  to the Second Coming.  Coming for you?”

“Mine the space of those who move
  along the serpentine circle,
the house-born triangular groove.
  I took my space in place of will.”

“As I died, alone, in my bedroom,
  he held out his arms to me, cried,
‘Take the stone from the mouth of your tomb.’
  I spoke, ‘Why were you crucified?’”

“I am old.  Starlight is young.
  I was dust when its flight
began: dust the star that flung
  it forth to die into my sight.”

“What has not the shape of a dog,
  can’t lie quietly there and seem
to be or fly like a rising fog?
  Reluctantly, I change my dream.”


  * * *

“Nothing is far to God, I guess.
  We move closer, the closer Death
holds us out to Him, unless,
  unlike Death, we drop our faith.”

“When, once again, all became clear,
  and I knew myself, my perfection
and diminishment, something nearer
  said, ‘Prepare for resurrection.’”

“Call me, says the bare branch to gray
  skies.  Call me, says the black
smoke to the stars.  Night, says day
  To darkness, will not call you back.”

Note: This is two self-contained sections
from my long poem Voca Me (latin for "call me").
It is one of my "voices poems," in which
each stanza is spoken by a different
voice. More sections to follow.

No comments: