Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Cave at Enoshima in Sagami Province (Utagawa Hiroshige), Sonnet #449

My book of the first 200 of these sonnets is now available for purchase. Click here:
My Human Disguise.







A sacred wave chases men from the shore
A sacred tree survives the wind and wrack
A sacred root clutches a rocky crack
A sacred cave with silk smooth walls and floor 

This all exists because I stand outside,
My eye less a lens than a picture frame.
My mind shutters, cannot close, opens wide
Dying to give everything a name.

Three men venture slowly into the cave,
Carry one lamp they will light at the nave
Where the sea’s voice is echoic and grave
And the light is not particle or wave.

They bring nothing else, no prayer to say
In this mouth opened by ancient sea fray. 

No comments: